Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hipstamatic 211: BlacKeys b+w Film, 13 Lens Combinations; Night, 1 Light, Fine Detail...Moth & Screen

This is one of my absolutely favorite films. As such, I wanted to see how it captured detail and
where its vignetting and light translations put “focal interest” in a high-contrast, yet very dark
scene.

Single 40-watt (incandescent) bulb, at night. BlacKeys Ultrachrome b+w film, iterated
 with all 13 Lenses (as of Aug 2011). Shows how lenses affect this film’s value structure, overall
 color-cast, artifacting, and detail. (Minor focus-blur issues are accidental; I learned that even
 after not moving the iPhone, it pays to take a sec to let the camera solidly re-focus!)


1 comment:

  1. If you like BlacKeys B+W, you should check out Rock BW-11 if you haven't already. That plus the John S. Lens is my fave combination, and I probably overuse it, but nearly every time I'm pleased by the results. One thing I've found with that film, and especially the John S. is that you get greatly differing results depending on the intensity of light. I've used a shop lights and natural sun for very different results - one of the things I find so cool about Hipstamatic. I write about it here:

    http://rsmithing.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/hipstamatic-or-haunted/

    I'd value your comments over at my post if you're so inclined. Thanks, and keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete